Friday, January 24, 2014

Danish Pastries, Gardens, and the Little Mermaid


I wasn't really sure what to expect when it came to Copenhagen. In some ways, it reminded me of a very expensive version of northern Germany. But then it would turn around and totally surprise me.

For instance, I loved their adventurous spirit when it came to architecture and design. Where else would you see some kind of weird winged iguana creature on the fountain outside town hall or two Vikings playing an ancient Norse instrument? 




Secondly, the pastries. I've eaten "Danish" pastries before, usually as part of a continental breakfast at a Holiday Inn or something. Oh Em Gee, was I NOT ready for the deliciousness of a real Danish pastry. Fionn and I tried quite a few and none of them were disappointing. Some were yeasty perfection while others were delicate twists lightly infused with cinammon and topped with the most perfect icing glaze I've ever eaten. Best part? You could find them everywhere!

Seriously. I was dreaming of them after we left.

Danish pastries, I will never speak ill of you again.




Copenhagen has some gorgeous green spaces. Even on a chilly December day, they were so nice to walk around in and explore. Not to mention, you can wave to the Queen, who lives next door.






Finally, good ole Hans Christian Anderson. One of Denmark's most famous citizens, he gave us all sorts of beloved children stories.


the BEST, of course, being the Little Mermaid, my favorite movie from childhood. Her statue is a bit out of the way, but it was worth the visit! Now I've crossed another thing off my travel wishlist!


3 comments :

  1. Hi! I couldn't respond back to you via email, so I figured this was the next best thing! Where in GA are you PCSing to, if you don't mind me asking?! I loved the times we traveled to Germany—soak it all in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! We're headed to Ft Benning next. I'm from Savannah, so I'm excited to head back closer to home. My email is shannonthemrsblog@gmail.com if that makes things easier! :)

      Delete
  2. Copenhagen is on my travel wish list, too. I love the pictures you posted!

    ReplyDelete