Thursday, September 5, 2013

Down by the Harbor in Bergen, Norway

I have always wanted to visit Scandinavia, but it's reputation as killer expensive usually held me back. But suddenly Fionn had an end of summer 4 day weekend, his travel-loving mom was here to visit, and we thought what the heck! Let's do Scandinavia before the weather gets too cold. None of us had ever been, we heard the fjords were fab, and a 4 day weekend would let us enjoy Norway without breaking the bank.


Our main goal while visiting Norway was seeing the fjords. Norway is famous for its natural (and mostly unspoiled!) beauty, so we skipped Oslo altogether and decided to stay in Bergen, the "gateway to the fjords". It's one of Norway's largest cities, but it's really not that big and was perfect for a long weekend.

First off, lemme just say that what they say about Norway is true-it is CRAZY expensive. $4 for a candy bar? $25 for a sandwich? $16 for a beer? All totally normal. We saved money by renting a small apartment through Air BnB. Having our own kitchen really helped cut costs, not to mention the place was adorable!


Once we settled in, we headed down to the city center to do some exploring. We were so lucky with the weather-Bergen is famous for being really rainy but we had blue, sunny skies almost all weekend! We bought raincoats while we were there, so I guess Murphy's Law kicked in for us...








Bergen is a port city, and one of its main attractions is the Fish Market and Harbor. The prices are STEEP and from what we heard, fresh fish can be bought elsewhere for much cheaper. Still, it was really fun to walk around and get a feel for how it might've been in the olden days. They had a bunch of unusual Norwegian specialties to try too, like reindeer sausage, whale sandwiches, and cloudberry jam!









From there we walked over to Bryggen, a historical but kind of touristy area right off the harbor. I loved the colorful houses along the way, and Fionn and I split a skillingsboller, which means Schilling bun, a cinnamon bun that used to be sold in Bergen for a schilling. We got one just as they came out of the oven! Mmmm...



Fionn's mom and me!



Luckily for us, the sun stays out later in the summer since we're so far north. So we had plenty of time to explore around and enjoy some sunshine before heading back to our apartment rental.





I absolutely loved the houses in Bergen. There's something kind of New England-y about them.




That was it for day one! Stick around for more Norway adventures! :)


8 comments :

  1. It looks so awesome. I think to afford it, I'd need to visit on a cruise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! I can't imagine staying here longer than a weekend-I'd be broke!

      Delete
  2. Looks beautiful! The photos of the evening are so magical :)
    The fish market totally grosses me out, but sounds pretty interesting with those specialities! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place looks amazing! I love all that fresh seafood (even if it probably cost an arm and a leg :). I love the cheerful colors of all the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they cute? There's something kind of New Englandy about them.

      Delete
  4. I would love to go to Scandinavia despite the high prices. I think its just better if you know ahead of time what you are getting into. I can't wait to see your photos of the Fjords!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. We avoided Scandinavia for ages until we'd saved up a little bit to offset the cost. But it was so worth it once we saw the fjords!

      Delete
  5. Also I tagged you in the "6 things about me" post. Don't hate me lol http://therococoroamer.blogspot.com/2013/09/6-things-about-me.html

    ReplyDelete